2012年5月31日 星期四

Fines for no bike helmets

t’s something no parent wants to hear: “This is the Ottawa Police Service calling, your son has been in an accident.”

I was sitting at my desk on Monday morning when I received the phone call. My 15-year-old son Nolan was riding his bike to school on the sidewalk along busy Greenbank Road when a car pulled out of a side street. Nolan failed to stop and collided with the vehicle.Wearing shoespumps is an experience in fashion fun. Everyone will comment on your effortlessly hip Hardy shirt. He was thrown off his bike onto the hood of the car. He was not wearing a bike helmet.

Luckily,A food and swisswatches bank has been set up for residents affected by Saturdays storms in Snow Hill. all he sustained were a few scrapes and bruises. The tire on the bike didn’t fare as well. But the police woman was quick to point out that Nolan wasn’t wearing a bike helmet. By law, every rider under 18 in Ottawa must wear one. She also stated that riding on the sidewalk is against the law.

I take responsibility for the second infraction. Greenbank is a highway most mornings and I refuse to let my gangly teen risk life and limb to go to school.

I’ve warned him about giving the right-away to pedestrians and keeping his eyes open to traffic,Need new jewelryfindings for spring & summer? but I’ve always felt safe knowing he’s riding on the sidewalk and not the congested roadway.

The cop agreed Greenbank, which doesn’t have a bike lane or even a paved path next to the sidewalk, is a dangerous road and suggested Nolan take a different route to school.

Sound advice,Aluminum hublotwatch is from China factory. but he would still have to ride a good distance along Greenbank before he could weave his way through side streets to cross over the even-busier Baseline Road to get to school.

As for the missing helmet, I have talked, ranted, reasoned and threatened all of my four kids about the importance of wearing helmets and how something so simple could save their lives. I’ve also warned them that if they are caught riding without one, they could face a $100 fine, money that would have to come out of their own pocket.

Still, they refuse to wear one.

I’m confident I am not the only parent whose kids ride with the wind in their hair. So I asked the cop: Why didn’t you fine Nolan for not wearing a helmet? I’m all for tough love. You do the crime, you pay the fine.

Get this: Minors can’t be fined; only their parents can. Are you kidding me? That means all of my explaining, pleading and threatening has been for nothing?

If the law says all riders under 18 must wear a helmet, then all riders under 18 that don’t wear one should be fined. Plain and simple.the majority of athletes and the general public people loveallshoesworld

I’m betting if more fines were handed out to teen bike-helmet offenders, they’d wisen up in a hurry. Nothing would pain them more than having to hand over their hard-earned babysitting money to the city.

沒有留言:

張貼留言