2012年10月15日 星期一

Making peace with a necessity

I estimate that I've had about 22 mammograms in my adult life. By now, I should be a pro.

Alas, this is not the case. I'm guessing that I'll be really good at this mammogram thing by the time I'm 90. Possibly 97.Any of our niketn can be customized with your school

I have no problem with the physical aspect of mammograms. Sure, it's weird to stand mostly topless watching the X-ray tech prepare to flatten your tiny A cup to the width of a paper plate. I usually screw up half of the directions: "stand here, arm up, lean forward, head toward me, a little closer, no just a touch to the left," and always need to breathe right when she says "don't breathe." These things are no big deal. It's the waiting that's my problem.

I've never been good at this kind of waiting. My brain goes in to overdrive, imagining the worst: a tumor the size of a watermelon. My heart starts pounding, my stomach churns and I alternate between hot flashes and hypothermia. It's unfortunate, but it's who I am — just a tad on the anxious side but otherwise pretty normal.

Despite my anxiety, I try to be smart, so I don't allow my fear to keep me from mammograms. I know how important they are,We provide top quality cheapwatchesand IWC Replica Watches. even if they're not on anyone's top 10 list of fun times. In an effort to cope, I've developed some strategies that have taken my fear from a 9.8 to a more reasonable 6-ish. This makes mammograms a little more endurable.

First, I try to be really friendly to the staff so that they will take pity on me if I turn into a quivering 3-year-old. I even try to be a little funny (though they might not think so) to make things feel a little less serious.

I look for particular magazines in the waiting room, ones that require no actual reading, so that I can use them to channel my nervous energy into turning the pages. Magazines with a lot of pictures are nice: House Beautiful or National Geographic, even if these are tattered and several years old. Reading about violence in Nicaragua or Martha Stewart's planting schedule does not help me wait.

Breathing is an important strategy and I try to remember to keep breathing; slowly,We provide top quality cheapwatchesand IWC Replica Watches. deeply, quietly (otherwise people might stare).

If I can't stop myself from thinking, I remember a friend who had her mammogram on a Tuesday, early. She had to wait a long time because she had to have many additional studies and ultrasound, then later, a biopsy. She didn't think she could handle it, but when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, she didn't curl up and die — she did what we all do: laundry, shopping, driving, working. She watched TV, ate chocolate, drank wine, cried and laughed and talked a lot. During chemotherapy, she let people help her, she slept more and worked less,Authorised paneraireplica Stockists. Large Mens Breitling Watch range. but she lived. She still lives and she is a happy woman.

Remembering this makes waiting a little bit easier.

I don't think mammograms will ever be easy for me, but I'll keep having them. Someday I'll have all of the strategies I need to sail through them calmly, wisely and with grace … at age 97.

沒有留言:

張貼留言