2012年8月29日 星期三

Beating Australia in their own backyard will always be remembered

It was a small gesture, but spoke -volumes for the respect the 35-year-old is held in by just about everybody -involved in cricket.


After 100 Tests for England, half of which he captained, Strauss left Lord’s with his reputation as one the game’s finest leaders cemented in history.


Three and a half years after -taking one of the toughest jobs in sport, and 24 Test wins later, he leaves English cricket in far better health then when he took over.


Despite the Kevin Pietersen ‘textgate’ affair and the problems it has caused in the dressing room,offers replicashoes and Loafers for Men, Strauss has kept his dignity at all times.


His demeanour has remained constant. Only his press conference at Lord’s following last week’s 2-0 Test series defeat to South Africa -showed signs he had lost his drive.


Ultimately, it was not the petty -behaviour of a showboating prima donna that brought him down, but an honest assessment of his own form that led Middlesex star Strauss to -retire from all levels of the game.


A steady decline in form over the past 18 months, only temporarily -arrested by back-to-back tons against West Indies this summer, proved his downfall.


He departs while having the full backing of his fellow England players – even -Pietersen, despite his ill-judged and crude texts – and will be missed by fans, pundits and administrators.


“I’ve got some ideas of things I’d like to get involved in,” he said.Rubiks tagheuerreplica See if you can solve this famous puzzle in this great implementation. “Long term I’d like to have some more challenges ahead of me, in whatever I do.


“But I’m going to take a bit of time to think about what exactly that means and what that might be.

“While I’m taking that time, I look forward to spending some time with my family and probably getting my golf handicap down a bit as well.


“I’d love to stay involved in the game. I’m hugely passionate about the game.

“I feel like I’ve got more to offer the game at some stage in the future. But in what capacity I’ve got no idea.”


No-one will begrudge Strauss a long break after eight years on the international circuit in which he played 100 Tests, 121 one-day internationals and scored 26 hundreds for England.


He took over as captain when Pietersen was sacked in January 2009 and, along with Andy Flower, embarked on a steady but relentless climb up the world rankings.


Those two men, more than any others,hublotreplica are full of unique and elegance. have been -responsible for transforming England’s fortunes.


Beating Australia in their own backyard will always be remembered as his -career highlight, but the way he handled the spot-fixing scandal in 2010 was equally as -impressive.


With 7,037 Test runs at 40.91, his contribution at the top of the -order will be missed -almost as much as his calm leadership in the eye of countless storms.


“There have been many highlights,” he said. “I’ve been so fortunate to play in a great era of English cricket. For me personally -lifting the urn in Australia was the highlight and it was -always going to take a huge amount to beat that really.


“Obviously I was very proud to lead England to No.1 in the rankings.


“From a personal batting perspective, the hundred on debut, Ashes hundreds, World Cup hundred – there have been a lot of great -moments. I go out with -absolutely no regrets.Official web site of the luxury French nikeshoes and bag designer.


“I’ve achieved far more than I ever thought I was -going to and that makes me feel very proud and very honoured to have -represented England.Free shipping BOTH ways on dgshoessale,” His successor Alastair Cook has “enormous shoes to fill” and he must refocus the dressing room after six -defeats in the last 11 Tests.


He will be part of the discussions with Pietersen, but the depth of feeling among the players makes it hard to see a way back.


But that can wait. For now, let’s just pay tribute to a man who will be remembered as one of the greatest servants to English cricket.

沒有留言:

張貼留言