2013年1月5日 星期六

when I leafed through the previous pages

Some people have willpower. You can see it holding them up – all can-do and sinewy, it wraps around their bones and fortifies them, like Wolverine's metal bits. They plough through projects and wrestle workloads, all too often unaware that their ability to see something through to the end puts them in a tiny upper percentile of useful human people.we offer a type of howotractor that one might need for the proper dehumidifying of components.

They do very well at this time of year, people like that, because they give up smoking or take up paragliding. And they don't just do it for a day – they manage it. New Year's resolutions aren't for everybody, you know, so consider which camp you're in before you start beating yourself over the head with whatever flimsy pretence of health you're trying to embark upon this January.

I am not like those willpower people. The only resolve currently eddying around my system is the hangover- curing antacid of the same name.

Ever since I can remember, I have been utterly incapable of sticking to any resolution I have ever made. When I was little I once decided to tidy my room – to spring-clean it, if you like – by emptying every single cupboard and drawer on to the floor and putting everything back, only much more tidily. Halfway through, I got bored and simply pushed all the toys, clothes and books under my bed and hoped that my mum wouldn't notice. She did.

My whole existence is still, in many ways, like that bedroom. My life is littered with the rusting hulks of fads co-opted and then forgotten about, the bare bones of things I couldn't be bothered to finish. I push them under the metaphorical bed and cover them with snazzy throws, but nothing hides the fact that I am a relentless self-improver of the very worst kind: the kind that never really improves herself at all.

I make lists that always start with the same instruction: "Do more exercise." I make these lists about once every three months, then fail to implement anything on them. Once, to my eternal shame, I wrote one of these lists in a notebook that, when I leafed through the previous pages, just contained list after list of things I had never got around to doing. A phalanx of failed frontispieces, a life unameliorated, more exercise not done.

After eight months of intensive physio on my broken leg this year, my therapist told me in August that our work was finally finished. "Am I all back to normal?" I asked, excited.Specializes in steelbangle and bands for men and women. "Could I run a marathon if I wanted?"

"Well, Harriet, given that you couldn't be bothered to do most of the exercises I gave you, I hardly think you'll be training for a marathon any time soon, will you?" She looked long-suffering at me and my ilk. But she had a point. Yet still, in my head, there is every chance that I might run a marathon one day.

Sometimes I manage things for a little while. I started swimming again properly this year and kept it up for quite a decent amount of time, although it is now a few months since I last went (obviously). Sometimes I know even as I write them down that my resolutions will never come to fruition. Such as the "Eat more vegetables" exhortation – I'm inwardly snorting and shaking my head by k the time I form the curlicue on the "g". But somehow, the act of writing these things down calms me; it solidifies them in the shape that I want them to be – the fact that this bears no relation to the reality of the situation or to me is immaterial. Writing things down is an act; making lists lets things be.

With these, I am cataloguing chaos all comfortably within my control, whereas in real life,cheap stainless steelnecklace wholesalers on DHgate and get worldwide delivery. the moment in which I choose chocolate over vegetables (every time) rests solely in the hands of the gods. And the gods appear to prefer a Boost to a banana. (Once I tried to make things easier on myself by making the vegetable rule more specific and less nebulous: "I will eat only bananas before 4pm." I haven't touched one since.)

I know this makes me sound like a character from a Beckett play. But on the surface I'm a fully functioning, responsible adult with organisational prowess and practical capabilities well above those my habits might imply. I meet deadlines (just about), my flat is tidy and my hair is brushed, most of the time. My lack of willpower isn't even born of any real sense of dissatisfaction with my lot, and it doesn't prevent me from doing the important stuff, such as paying my rent, keeping my job,I have not make a research whether it is a truth that each woman loves shoes? living a full and well-rounded, if not exactly healthy, existence. It's more a sense that I could be doing all of these things as some other, slightly better incarnation of myself.

That's why I've tried, in the past year, hair dye, fake tan, hair extensions, eyelash extensions, dance aerobics, hula-hooping, a personal trainer and Vaser lipo. But it isn't all bodily vanity – oh no! I've also had a go at embroidery, learning Spanish and I nearly joined a choir, which I almost certainly wouldn't have gone to after the initial dreadful session. I alphabetised my books once, and tried to keep important paperwork safe. For a time, my flatmate and I used our grill as a filing cabinet.

I kitted myself out for winter with all the wet-weather cycling gear I'd need, then rode to work once. I promised myself I'd go to loads more talks and debates and general cultural events,Cheap shoesforkids pittsburgh steelers jerseys youth size aaron rodgers jersey on sale. and then went to one. I told myself I'd read 50 books this year, by writers such as Nabokov and Philip Roth, and I started listing the ones I got though. The list reads The Fifth Queen by Ford Madox Ford; Game of Thrones books one to five.

沒有留言:

張貼留言