2010年11月22日 星期一

'I just learn to deal with it'

In front of an audience, Griffin transforms from researcher and hot dog vendor into a gritty emcee who raps about the insecurities of having no money, standing tall when others abandon him and summoning the courage to approach an attractive woman.

"I'm an artist in every way," said Griffin, who says he listens to everything from rap to rock to heavy metal. "People feel you more when they relate to you."

Griffin performs the second and fourth Thursdays of the month at the Indigo Lounge in a program presented by Hippy Maphia, a Delaware group of musicians. From 8 p.m. to midnight, the top-floor lounge in a building in the first block of W. Fourth St. showcases local musicians, poets, rappers and singers.

The loud music reaches people on the street below; some are smoking, others are taking a break before they perform.

Griffin is working on a mix tape that he hopes will hit the streets soon. He also has completed a song for the PAR soundtrack, titled "Broke."

"I just hope he gets what he wants," said his grandmother,Our offer inflatable mattress bed,ed hardy bags,ed hardy clothing,ed hardy caps,cheap ed hardy,discount ed hardy,welcome to order! Sara Griffin, 71, motioning toward music pulsating downstairs.womenhandbagstouringinth,Cheap ed hardy,ed hardy caps,ED Hardy T Shirt.

The basement of her Rutledge home is Swearv's. Exposed water pipes run across the ceiling. Bare concrete makes the walls. A clothesline stretching across the room serves as his closet, supporting dozens of designer shirts.

His bed is in the far corner, little more than a mattress on the concrete floor. On top of the bedspread, a white teddy bear lies face down. On the wall, a tattered poster of Mickey and Minnie Mouse is decorated with signatures of friends.The stripe design featured on the sides of large pet carrier is a trademark of ASICS Corporation and is a registered trademark in most.

At the center of the room is his computer, where he spends most of his time listening to music and writing songs.

"He's really good with computers. That's what I would want him to do, but he's really into his music," said his grandmother, who admitted she does not have the patience for loud music.

"My grandmother sees the brighter side of things," Griffin said. "That's the way she lives her life."

In addition to being Griffin's biggest supporter, his grandmother may be his only supporter in the family.

"If my grandma didn't come to the rescue as many times as she did ...," he said,Check out our edhardywholesaleamiim for the lastest news from Vegas. trailing off. "With no male figure, me and my little brother are only one year apart, so we got into a lot of trouble together. It would have been worse."

Sara Griffin raised him for part of his childhood.

Griffin finished night school at James Groves High School after being kicked out of William Penn High School at 17.

"My mom is always talking about why don't I be like my older brother, because he went to college and everything. I don't get support," he said. "I don't get it from my mom, but I got it for myself.

Griffin has to deal with his younger brother, who was charged with murder, according to court records.

The optimism in Griffin's voice does not change, whether he is talking about his music,Expert on originally cheap discount coogi jeans. Puma Shoes with high technology. his brother charged with murder or the violence around him every day.

"Honestly, you can't stop it," he said. "It's just going to keep going on. I just learn to deal with it."

"I can't stop bullets with my hands. I just stay to my section and worry about my little sisters."

Part of his experience is reflected in an 18-page survey that the PAR team gave to East Side and Southbridge residents that has a section dedicated to violence. Griffin helped form those questions with fellow researchers.

One of the questions asks, "When was the last time you heard about someone getting shot with a gun?" The answers range from about a week to more than five years.

It makes Griffin think of his brother.

沒有留言:

張貼留言