2011年1月20日 星期四

Belief in self behind Paralympian Holmes' success

United States Paralympic sprinter April Holmes backs herself to outrun the world's fastest man – on one leg.

The 2008 gold medallist,exactly, the cobbler favored for his sky-high heels decided to take the plunge into men's shoes. defending world champion and world record holder is aiming to retain her 100-metre and 200m titles at the IPC Athletics World Championships starting tomorrow in Christchurch.

Holmes, who lost her leg in a train accident in 2001, said much of her success was down to self-belief.

"I'm one of those people who believes I can do almost anything in life,There's a reason Manolo blahnik shoes are considered the crème de al crème of all shoes, everywhere." she said.

"I tell people all the time that I could beat Michael Jordan at basketball, and if Usain Bolt got his leg amputated, I could beat him at running also."

Her goal in Christchurch is to get a step closer to achieving six world and Paralympic titles.

"I sat there the other day as I was warming up thinking about some of our American sports heroes, realising that Michael Jordan has six [NBA championship] rings, and Kobe [Bryant] is one shy.

"I have a very good opportunity between here and London [Paralympics] to walk away with six championships,If you are really space deprived and don't have a sofa bed, today's inflatable mattress bed are a great “bed in a pinch. so that's on my mind right now."

A hip injury has hampered Holmes' buildup, but she had not written off breaking her own world record at QEII.

"If I can put my foot down fast enough on the ground, you might see it.

"I don't think I'm moving as fast [with the injury]; I think I'm about 80 per cent. You can't run without your hip.Chanelle Hayes Chanelle Hayes hit the streets in Christian Louboutin Maggie pumps."

Holmes said she was not daunted by the expectation of being defending champion and one of the event's biggest stars.

In 2009, she became the first female athlete to sign a sponsorship deal with Jordan's clothing brand.

"I don't really get caught up in what other people expect of me. I'm more about the standards I expect and set for myself.

"As long as we get out here and put on a good show, that's my thank you to the fans."

Holmes was not a competitive athlete before the accident but her surgeon suggested she take up the sport.

She became inspired by a magazine featuring the 2000 Sydney Paralympics.

"I thought he was crazy because I didn't know anybody who was an amputee and had never seen anything Paralympic.

"I turned those pages from the Sydney Games and thought, `I definitely could be here'.we wouldn't be surprised if Marshall's is shipping some of its unsold wholesale ed hardy gear to Houston. Again, it was just me believing in myself."

沒有留言:

張貼留言